General surgery is a surgical specialty that focuses on abdominal contents including esophagus, stomach, small bowel, colon, liver, pancreas, gallbladder and bile ducts, and often the thyroid gland. They also deal with diseases involving the skin, breast, soft tissue, and hernias.
General surgery is a discipline that requires knowledge of and familiarity with a broad spectrum of diseases that may require surgical treatment. In general surgery, the surgeon is expected to perform both pre- and post-operative care and management other than the surgery itself. General surgeons can diagnose several types of diseases, especially those that are related to the abdomen and the organs connected to it.
What is a General Surgeon ?
A General surgeon is a physician who has been educated and trained in the diagnosis and preoperative, operative, and postoperative management of patient care. Surgery requires knowledge of anatomy, emergency and intensive care, immunology, metabolism, nutrition, pathology, physiology, shock and resuscitation, and wound healing.
General surgery tends to be a varied specialty, where the activities of a general surgeon involve time in the operating room, office, emergency department and the intensive care unit. General surgical practice requires expertise in communication and collaboration, teaching and research, health care management and continuing professional development.
General surgeons can be found practicing many types of surgery, and the broad-based nature of their education makes it possible for general surgeons to perform many procedures in the performance of their jobs. Some may choose to go on to a specialty, but others enjoy the variety that makes up the day of a true general surgeon and practice a wide assortment of procedures.
Treatments available at Flowrence
- Laparoscopic surgery (for appendix, hernia, gall bladder)
- Laparotomy (emergency and exploratory for conditions like intestinal obstruction, perforation)
- Diabetes related surgery (diabetic foot, etc)
- All types of hernia and hydrocoele surgery
- Fissure, hemorrhoid and fistula surgery
- Breast lump (benign and malignant diagnosis, treatment and surgery)
- Diagnosis and treatment for abdominal pain
- Conservative treatment for renal stones and prostate
- Minor surgeries ((incision and drainage, debridement and biopsy)
- Minor burns
- Thyroid and Parotid gland surgery